19-032 Summer Day Camp Counselor
Seasonal full time position, 40 hours per week, $10.53 per hour. Monday through Friday during the day. Position is open until filled.
Performs responsible work in the operation of a municipal summer day camp programs. Assists the Camp Supervisor in program planning, administrative assignments, and program delivery.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Except as specifically noted, the following functions are considered essential to this position. The listed examples may not include all duties found in this class)
1. Direct and participate in the supervision of the day camp and park programs. Duties may include leading and/or assisting in supervision of various games, special events, weekly trips, cook-outs, arts and crafts, nature walks, swimming and fishing with children ages 6-12.
2. Maintain and enforce safety rules and regulations. Conduct safety drills.
3. Supervise classes, workshops, special events, fitness activities, sports, games, arts and various activities for persons engaged in City recreation programs and co-sponsored programs.
4. Open and close assigned recreation facilities. Provide security for City facilities and grounds.
5. Distribute a variety of brochures, calendars, letters, posters, news releases, flyers, and related communications regarding recreation programs for publication.
6. Respond to public inquiries about recreation programs made by telephone, correspondence, or in person.
7. Promote interest and provide information regarding recreation programs to school officials, other recreation officials, community service groups, other departments, and the general public.
8. Assist in the maintenance of the park facilities.
9. Perform a variety of miscellaneous duties such as answering phone, typing correspondence, running errands, picking up supplies needed for activities, conducting classes, selling tickets, collecting fees.
10. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with employees, other departments and agencies, and the general public.
11. Maintains familiarity with and executes safe work procedures associated with assigned work.
12. Perform other related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS: Considerable knowledge of sports, recreation and leisure activities for youths and teens. Ability to implement a plan. Ability to effectively express ideas in oral and written form. Ability to lead and instruct others in techniques and methods used in various work activities. Ability to write reports and maintain accurate records. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, Commissions, employees, and the general public. Ability to serve in a supervisory capacity. Ability to carry out oral and written instructions. Good physical condition.
EDUCATION/LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Enjoy working with children and young adults. Previous experience in similar situation preferred, but not necessary. Valid Driver's license. Certification in First Aid and CPR desirable.
$10.53 per hour.